Thursday, May 31, 2007

Apologizzzze

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070531/slavery-apology/

Alabama officially apologized today for slavery; they expressed "profound regret." I don't really know what to say about this except that I think state legislatures have way too much time on their hands. Is this really necessary? Was this something that people were actively seeking? It seems pretty empty to have a group of elder folk manufacture an apology on behalf of some other older fellows who lived like 150 years ago. I just can't why this would have any significance. Are people sitting at the dinner table tonight with renewed joy in their lives uttering remarks such as:

"You know what, that Alabama apologizing really brings closure to this whole slavery issue"

or

"I'll tell you what, now that Alabama has apologized I can finally stop physically harassing the U. Bama fan who works in the cubicle next to me."

or

"Son, you see how Alabama apologized. Now that's owning up to your mistakes. Hopefully within the next 150 years you'll work up the courage to ask forgiveness from Ricky for breaking his bike."


Ultimately, I can't say too much about this because I don't descend from anyone who was enslaved in America- only in Egypt. Where is their apology? When will they express some "profound regret?"

No comments: